Title

My 2015 Kona Ironman World Champs Training

Wednesday 19 August 2015

Back in my local pool!

So this week my local pool has re-opened for the summer season which is great as it makes life a little easier to get to and from the pool for me.

I live in about 500m from a great swimming centre, in Lambton a suburb in Newcastle but it closes over winter so I have to either swim at a 50m indoor pool at the university or travel 15-20 mins to another outdoor pool bt during the vbusy times of the day it can take longer.

The Uni pool is always full of learn to swim groups, squads or overseas students who can't swim and have no idea on lane etiquette. You are often swimming along during your set and are stopped in your tracks by an asian student doing some weird form of breast stroke or up to 9 people in your lane, 2 of whom can actually swim under 1:30 for 50m!

Now I can stop in on the way home from work in peace and quite to complete my swim training and then be home within 5 minutes of getting out of the water! Last night is was fantastic as there is hardly anyone using the pool yet as it is still a bit cool outside and 22.5deg in water.



I had a lane to myself the whole swim and almost the whole pool for half of the time!

I completed a planned 4km swim set;

1000m IM effort W/U
5 x 200 band/paddle/buoy
1000m steady aerobic
1000m IM effort

Previous IM training blocks I only swam up to 4km maybe once in the final 10 weeks, but this time I am finding myself swimming much better and loving these longer swims. I think that I am definitely swimming much better now than ever before, so hopefully this translates to a good swim in Kona.

In the morning I completed my planned run session which involved;

15 min W/U
3 x 3km at 10-20 sec below IM pace
10 min C/d jog

Nothing much to report on the run, it was just a nice steady tempo style session which I completed comfortably. I am trying not to over cook the running this week so I can hit the bike sessions as planned.


3 x 3km run session link

So another good day in the bank....

No comments:

Post a Comment