Title

My 2015 Kona Ironman World Champs Training

Thursday 13 August 2015

Winter just won't quit!

I woke up quite fatigued from yesterdays solid 18km run session. This coupled with a cold, howling south westerly wind didn't make for much fun on the bike at 5am!

Temperature was 7 degrees and I only had one other hardy soul out with me as company. We chose to complete the session along the foreshore to stay close to the coast and away from anywhere that might be colder.

The intervals were 10 mins long and about 5 mins straight into a howling cold wind which made it pretty easy to get the power up, but my speed was only around 25km/h, and then with the wind I was flying along at 42-45km/h.

Nothing much else to report on really, just another brick in the wall. But the hot shower after this ride was wonderful....


In the afternoon I completed my normal aerobic recovery run while the kids had netball training. Legs are definitely feeling the fatigue and I will have to be careful over the next 4-5 days to not get into a hole.

Something of concern is a big blister I have developed on my little toe from my new On Cloudsurfer running shoes which may cause me some grief! I purchased a pair 2 weeks ago and have been breaking them in slowly, then I tried them on the weekend for my long run to test them out as a potential shoe to race in Kona, but they may be ruled out I think.

I am trying to get the shoes I race in settled now, testing things now with plenty of time to have them settled by race day. Developing a blister from the wrong shoes is better now than 3 weeks out from the race, as I can trial some other things.

My next option is trying either Saucony Kinvara's or Hoka Cliftons. These are both shoes brands which I have had good experiences with and no issues so I might try the Kinvara's if I can find a good deal somewhere. My previous ironman I have raced in Nike Flyknit, but I have now found them a bit light on cushioning and I am after more cushioning for the marathon now.

This afternoon's run.....


A pretty good day, but I need to get more swimming done!


No comments:

Post a Comment